The Situation is Critical
WATER IS ESSENTIAL. We all need water to survive.
WATER IS A PRECIOUS RESOURCE.
99.7% of all the water on earth is not suitable for human consumption. Of the remaining 0.3%, much is inaccessible.
UTILITY WATER IS ENERGY-EXPENSIVE TO DELIVER.
Energy is required to PUMP FROM aquifers, PUMP THROUGH canals and pipes, CONTROL FLOW, and DESALINATE. In all cases, potable water requires TREATMENT (before and after use).
GLOBALLY, DELIVERING WATER EXPENDS MORE THAN 26 QUADRILLION BTUS – 7% OF TOTAL WORLD ENERGY CONSUMPTION
IN CALIFORNIA, THE LARGEST SINGLE USER OF ENERGY IS THE STATE WATER PROJECT, WHICH PUMPS WATER UP 2000 FEET OVER THE TEHACHAPI MOUNTAINS. THIS SINGLE ACTIVITY EXPENDS 5 BILLION KILO-WATT-HOURS PER YEAR – 3% OF ALL ELECTRICITY CONSUMED IN THE STATE.
UTILITY WATER IS BUREAUCRATICALLY EXPENSIVE:
Tremendous energy use… but what about all the regulatory effort applied to the delivery of potable water? Public Health, Public Utilities, Water Management Districts, and the like... These activities cost the taxpayers money.
And what do we do?
WE WASTE IT:
With all that energy and effort required to deliver potable water, what do we do? We flush it down the toilet… use it in machine shops… wash our dirty laundry… spray it on our garden – expensive potable water going to non-potable uses.
WE LET IT SLIP AWAY:
Traditionally, municipalities managed stormwater by channeling it away from developed land and urban centers as quickly as possible. This approach reduces the amount of freshwater available for groundwater recharge, and it creates tremendous pollution problems with stormwater discharges to rivers, lakes, and ocean waters.
GREENWISE WATER & LANDSCAPES
WE FOCUS ON WATER CONSERVATION SYSTEMS AND LANDSCAPES
RAINWATER CATCHMENT SYSTEMS – From 500-Gallon residential systems to 750,000-Gallon commercial systems, we capture water that falls on the roof, store it in tanks, and distribute it to landscape irrigation systems, laundry systems, and toilets.
GREYWATER REUSE SYSTEMS – Our systems capture greywater from the home (which is any water not associated with food or feces,) and distribute it to landscape irrigation systems. Again – residential or commercial.
STORMWATER MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS – We build bioswales to retain stormwater on property so that it may percolate to the aquifer. This is becoming a requirement with many municipalities as codes are beginning to be rewritten for sustainability.
EFFICIENT IRRIGATION SYSTEMS – Technologies in irrigation have improved dramatically. We need plants. Plants need irrigation. Greenwise delivers it efficiently.
The Monterey Peninsula Airport Management District has a sustainability plan. That plan calls for a 50% reduction in water use by 2030. I studied their problem, and it took me about 15 minutes to figure out how they could meet 80% of their goal by next week.
Their three largest consumers comprise about 45% of the total water use for the Airport District. One of these consumers has three aircraft hangars totaling 3.5 acres of roof space. The rainwater available from these hangars is 1.8 million gallons per year – which is the amount of treated, potable water the three top consumers use each year. One of the consumers is a car rental facility. Most of their water use goes toward washing cars.
One 650,000 gallon tank and some pipes and MPAD is 20% away from meeting their water sustainability goals – 14 years early.
Who are you going to call?
You’re a company or a homeowner, and you want to start conserving water. Either you’re looking for an improved public image the includes "Sustainable", or you’re truly an environmentalist. Perhaps you just want to save money on your water bill. To whom do you turn?
GREENWISE WATER & LANDSCAPES
Let Greenwise do it for you! Provide us with a few simple pieces of information and we'll run the calculations for you! You can get started right now, by completing a no-obligation New Client Survey.
What you'll get from Greenwise is a cost estimate for your new rainwater catchment system and how long it will take to pay for itself! Imagine... after the payoff period... you'll be maintaining your lush (not brown) gardens for free! Nature does provide.
General Contractor Water & Landscape Systems Expert